Student participant, University of Virginia
“The Traveling Postcards workshop was an amazing, empowering and transformative experience. It was an incredibly safe space, where I felt supported and empowered to use my trauma to give support to other survivors. Through this workshop I was able to more clearly identify my own feelings around my assault. I also left feeling incredibly empowered, having given a future survivor a gift of love and encouragement."
An estimated one in five women and 21% of TGQN students will be victims of sexual assault during their college years. A Traveling Postcards Workshop is a therapeutic healing arts workshop that gives voice and comfort to survivors of gender violence and their allies. The 90-minute workshop is fun, non- threatening and deeply moving. Throughout the professionally led workshop, every participant creates a handmade piece of art the size of a postcard that will become a gift of solidarity for a survivor. Postcards are exhibited, shared across college campuses and with domestic violence shelters nationwide or placed in our Traveling Heart recovery bags. We bring our workshop (and postcards) to campuses across the US and incorporate healing, empathy and art into prevention & awareness programs.Campus FAQs
Traveling Postcards welcomes all voices to be heard. We especially welcome voices that are more often than not marginalized on campus. We know that sexual violence can impact everyone, regardless of sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, faith or socio-economic status.
How to Get Involved on your CampusLearn More
Benefits for College Counselors, Directors & Administrators
- Traveling Postcards can be a lifeline: Speeds reporting process, fills gap between incident & reporting.
- A great advocacy tool to raise awareness and share resources & information across campus.
- Workshops can be integrated within multiple departments.
- Workshops provide access to the global issue of violence against women.
- Provides an additional tool for counselors to use for healing trauma and creating empathy.
- Innovative approach to sharing resources and connections between college counselors on multiple college campuses.
- Increased student retention.
- Positive reflection of school on social media.
- Healing for healers that aids with burnout.
Workshops can be held anytime but specific opportunities for workshops are with:
1st year students & freshman orientation days
Survivor support groups
Sexual Assault Awareness Month
Domestic Violence Awareness Month
Sexual & Interpersonal Violence Care Coordinators & Counselors
Women & Gender Studies classes
LGBTQ+ support groups
Student Clubs and Organizations
Benefits for Students
Over 40% of 1st year female students experience sexual assault before getting to campus.
A Traveling Postcards Workshop can:
- Inform: Younger students don’t have words for rape, dating violence, don’t understand how trauma is impacting their lives.
- Heal old wounds, build resiliency, prevent re-victimization.
- Create a transformative experience: Helps move student from state of trauma into future empowerment.
- Provide a safe space to explore self expression and self acceptance.
- Raise awareness of gender inequality around the world.
- Create empathy and personal connection to the issue of sexual assault on campus.
- Utilize creativity for healing and self awareness.
- Create connections to other survivors, support and resources.
How to Get InvolvedFAQs
See our gallery page for pictures & postcards!Gallery