Student participant, University of Virginia
“The Traveling Postcards workshop was an amazing, empowering and transformative experience. It was an incredibly safe space, where I felt supported and empowered to use my trauma to give support to other survivors. Through this workshop I was able to more clearly identify my own feelings around my assault. I also left feeling incredibly empowered, having given a future survivor a gift of love and encouragement."
An estimated one in five women will be victims of sexual assault during their college years. A Traveling Postcards Workshop is a healing arts workshop that gives voice and comfort to survivors of gender violence. The 90-minute workshop is fun, non- threatening and deeply moving. Workshops are held in coordination with professional counselors, victim advocates, sexual assault response coordinators and community leaders. Traveling Postcard workshops are also an excellent tool for advocacy and promoting gender equality on college campuses. We bring our workshop (and postcards!) to campuses across the nation and can train your counselors to become workshop facilitators to best integrate the workshop into your prevention programs.Learn More
Traveling Postcards welcomes all voices to be heard. We know that sexual violence can impact everyone, regardless of sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, faith or socio-economic status.
Benefits for College Counselors, Directors & Administrators
- Traveling Postcards can be a lifeline: Speeds reporting process, fills gap between incident & reporting.
- A great advocacy tool to raise awareness and share resources & information across campus.
- Workshops can be integrated within multiple departments.
- Workshops provide access to the global issue of violence against women.
- Provides an additional tool for counselors to use for healing trauma and creating empathy.
- Innovative approach to sharing resources and connections between college counselors on multiple college campuses.
- Increased student retention.
- Positive reflection of school on social media.
- Healing for healers that aids with burnout.
Specific Opportunities for workshop days:
1st year students & freshman orientation days
International Women’s Day
Sexual Assault Awareness Month
Domestic Violence Awareness Month
Campus wide events
Athletics, Student Clubs and Organizations
Benefits for Students
Over 40% of 1st year female students experience sexual assault before getting to campus.
A Traveling Postcards Workshop can:
- Inform: Younger students don’t have words for rape, dating violence, don’t understand how trauma is impacting their lives.
- Heal old wounds, build resiliency, prevent re-victimization.
- Create a transformative experience: Helps move student from state of trauma into future empowerment.
- Provide a safe space to explore self expression and self acceptance.
- Raise awareness of gender inequality around the world.
- Create empathy.
- Utilize creativity for healing and self awareness.
- Create connections to other survivors, support and resources.
How to Get Involved on your Campus
Campus FAQsLearn More